Dr PRM has been a consultant at the Prabha Eye Clinic and Research Center since 1998 and at VIIO since 2001. He is also the director of the NAYANA project. He is a published author in many peer reviewed journal and retains a keen interest in basic sciences and vitreo retinal aspects of ophthalmology. He is a skilled surgeon in both anterior and posterior eye surgery. He also heads the fellow programme in Vitreo Retina.
Cataract Surgery Services:
- Micro Incision Cataract Surgery (MICS 2.2 mm Incision) with state of art, best in class, Alcon Infinity phaco emulsification Ozil technology platform.
- Phacoemulsification surgeries (2.8 mm Incision) with world class phaco systems from AMO (Sovereign) and Alcon (laureate) machines.
- Surgeries performed are sutureless, using topical anaesthesia combined with worlds best premium Intra ocular lenses.
Vitreoretinal Services: Medical Management:
- Management of vitreoretinal conditions related to diabetes, ARMD, vasculor disorders.
- Retinopathy of prematurity (RetCAM-Clarity medical system) with ancillary diode lase~ laser indirect ophthalmoscope and fundus f10urescein angiography (Carl Zeiss).
Complex vitreoretinal surgeries using 23 G Accurus vitrectomy system (Alcon), Dorc Harmony vitrectomy machine with wide angle viewing system (Biom) and endocyclophotocoagulation.
Primary Medical Education:MBBS (1989-1995), Bangalore Medical College
Post Graduation:M.S. (1996-1999), Minto Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences
Diplomate of National Board (DNB):1999
Fellowship in Vitreoretina: Medical Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya
Academic Achievement:Gold medal for the best outgoing vitreoretinal fellow, Medical research foundation Chennai
Mahesh.P.Shanmugam, Praveen.R.Murthy, Krishna.R.Murthy. Ocular oncology. Clinical practice in Ophthalmology by Sandeep Saxena. Ist edition, Jaypee publishers, New Delhi. Pages 449-476
- Written Chapters in:
- Publications in peer reviewed journals
- Gullapalli V K, Murthy Praveen R, Murthy K R Study of correlation of colour and age to nuclear hardness , Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 1996
- Murthy Praveen R, Murthy KR : A new instrument for removal of large non magnetic IOFB, dislocated IOL and nucleus , retina 2003
State: Papers Presented
- Colour as a marker of Nuclear Hardness: Presented at KOS meeting Hassan.
- Age as a marker of Nuclear Hardness: Presented at KOS meeting Hassan.
- A study of Corneal Foreign Bodies: Presented at SROC Mangalore.
- Disappearing Rhabdomyosarcoma : Poster presented at SROC Mangalore.
- Basal Cell Carcinoma Management: Poster presented at SROC Mangalore.
- Pneumatic Retinopexy: Video Presentation at KOS Meeting Davengere.
- Uses of Intravitreal gas in the management of sub retinal Hemorrhage: KOS meeting Gulburga.
- Vasculities other than Eales: paper presented at SROC Bangalore.
- CRVO in young. Paper presented at SROC Bangalore.
- Pneumatic Retinopexy our experience: Paper presented at KOS meeting at Gulburga.
- IntraOcular Tumours: Chapter in textbook of Ophthalmology, Co-author.
- History of Indirect Ophthalmology: Presentation at CME on Indirect Ophthalmoscopy at Narayana Nethralaya, Bangalore.
- When and how to laser in Diabetic Retinopathy: Presentation at CME on Retina at Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology.
- How soon and how often to screen for ROP and Definitions used in ROP: Presentation at CME on Retina at Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology.
- Study on removal of dislocated lens using lasso at SROC Manipal.
- Study of Vitamin A Deficiency in pre school children in Anganwadis of Yellandur Taluk at KOS Bellary 2004. (Best paper in community ophthalmology)
- Study of awareness of Vitamin A Deficiency among anganwadi workers of Yellandur Taluk at KOS Bellary 2004
- Enoscopic Cyclophotocoagulation in the management of refractory, secondary glaucomas at KOS conference 2005
- Chemical analysis of some silicon oils at KOS conference 2005
- Comparative study diabetic macular edema with HRT Retina & OCT at KOS conference 2005.
- .Surgical outcome of vitreo-retinal procedures in HIV +ve patients at KOS conference 2005.
- .Intra vitreal ganciclovir in CMV Retinitis at KOS conference 2005
- PDT for CNVM E or Ent. Vit. Triamcinolone Acetonide at KOS conference 2005.
- Ocular manifestation of Leukemia: Poster presented at AIOS Calcutta.
- Photodynamic therapy – paper presentation at AIOS Bhuvaneshwar 2005
On-going Project – “Nayana”:
Fully Equipped Mobile Diabetic Retinopathy Screening and Treatment Facilities in rural districts of Karnataka. This project aims at creating a locally availalble, viable and sustainable Diabetic Retinopathy treatment programme. He is a recipient of the KARUNA AWARD 2017 for his outstanding contribution to the progress of the nation.