Dr. Praveen R Murthy
Dr PRM has been a consultant at the Prabha Eye Clinic and Research Center since 1998 and at VIIO since 2001. He is also the director of the NAYANA project. He is a published author in many peer reviewed journal and retains a keen interest in basic sciences and vitreo retinal aspects of ophthalmology. He is a skilled surgeon in both anterior and posterior eye surgery. He also heads the fellow programme in Vitreo Retina.
Cataract Surgery Services:
- Micro Incision Cataract Surgery (MICS 2.2 mm Incision) with state of art, best in class, Alcon Infinity phaco emulsification Ozil technology platform.
- Phacoemulsification surgeries (2.8 mm Incision) with world class phaco systems from AMO (Sovereign) and Alcon (laureate) machines.
- Surgeries performed are sutureless, using topical anaesthesia combined with worlds best premium Intra ocular lenses.
Vitreoretinal Services: Medical Management:
- Management of vitreoretinal conditions related to diabetes, ARMD, vasculor disorders.
- Retinopathy of prematurity (RetCAM-Clarity medical system) with ancillary diode lase~ laser indirect ophthalmoscope and fundus f10urescein angiography (Carl Zeiss).
Complex vitreoretinal surgeries using 23 G Accurus vitrectomy system (Alcon), Dorc Harmony vitrectomy machine with wide angle viewing system (Biom) and endocyclophotocoagulation.
Primary Medical Education:MBBS (1989-1995), Bangalore Medical College
Post Graduation:M.S. (1996-1999), Minto Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences
Diplomate of National Board (DNB):1999
Fellowship in Vitreoretina: Medical Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya
Academic Achievement:Gold medal for the best outgoing vitreoretinal fellow, Medical research foundation Chennai
- Written Chapters in:
- Publications in peer reviewed journals
Mahesh.P.Shanmugam, Praveen.R.Murthy, Krishna.R.Murthy. Ocular oncology. Clinical practice in Ophthalmology by Sandeep Saxena. Ist edition, Jaypee publishers, New Delhi. Pages 449-476
- Gullapalli V K, Murthy Praveen R, Murthy K R Study of correlation of colour and age to nuclear hardness , Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 1996
- Murthy Praveen R, Murthy KR : A new instrument for removal of large non magnetic IOFB, dislocated IOL and nucleus , retina 2003
State: Papers Presented
- Colour as a marker of Nuclear Hardness: Presented at KOS meeting Hassan.
- Age as a marker of Nuclear Hardness: Presented at KOS meeting Hassan.
- A study of Corneal Foreign Bodies: Presented at SROC Mangalore.
- Disappearing Rhabdomyosarcoma : Poster presented at SROC Mangalore.
- Basal Cell Carcinoma Management: Poster presented at SROC Mangalore.
- Pneumatic Retinopexy: Video Presentation at KOS Meeting Davengere.
- Uses of Intravitreal gas in the management of sub retinal Hemorrhage: KOS meeting Gulburga.
- Vasculities other than Eales: paper presented at SROC Bangalore.
- CRVO in young. Paper presented at SROC Bangalore.
- Pneumatic Retinopexy our experience: Paper presented at KOS meeting at Gulburga.
- IntraOcular Tumours: Chapter in textbook of Ophthalmology, Co-author.
- History of Indirect Ophthalmology: Presentation at CME on Indirect Ophthalmoscopy at Narayana Nethralaya, Bangalore.
- When and how to laser in Diabetic Retinopathy: Presentation at CME on Retina at Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology.
- How soon and how often to screen for ROP and Definitions used in ROP: Presentation at CME on Retina at Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology.
- Study on removal of dislocated lens using lasso at SROC Manipal.
- Study of Vitamin A Deficiency in pre school children in Anganwadis of Yellandur Taluk at KOS Bellary 2004. (Best paper in community ophthalmology)
- Study of awareness of Vitamin A Deficiency among anganwadi workers of Yellandur Taluk at KOS Bellary 2004
- Enoscopic Cyclophotocoagulation in the management of refractory, secondary glaucomas at KOS conference 2005
- Chemical analysis of some silicon oils at KOS conference 2005
- Comparative study diabetic macular edema with HRT Retina & OCT at KOS conference 2005.
- .Surgical outcome of vitreo-retinal procedures in HIV +ve patients at KOS conference 2005.
- .Intra vitreal ganciclovir in CMV Retinitis at KOS conference 2005
- PDT for CNVM E or Ent. Vit. Triamcinolone Acetonide at KOS conference 2005.
- Ocular manifestation of Leukemia: Poster presented at AIOS Calcutta.
- Photodynamic therapy – paper presentation at AIOS Bhuvaneshwar 2005
On-going Project – “Nayana”:
Fully Equipped Mobile Diabetic Retinopathy Screening and Treatment Facilities in rural districts of Karnataka. This project aims at creating a locally availalble, viable and sustainable Diabetic Retinopathy treatment programme.